Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Meditating, Equine Therapy, and Mental Illness

Meditating and equine therapy can both go hand in hand to beating mental illnesses. Here is someone who is an avid meditator that talks about their mental illness. 

"Since I have become a disciplined meditator I have had little difficulty with my bipolar disorder. It is only natural to wonder if I could manage as well if I continued to meditate and came off the drugs. In fact, it is very tempting.

But my doctor advises me not to and, after much reflection and concern for my family, I agree. Just as I couldn’t manage this well without the meditation, much research evidence supports the idea that I couldn’t manage without the medication either. I’m not willing to take the chance.

Every person with mental illness to whom I have taught meditation has asked me if I think serious mental illness can be cured. At this point, with what science has discovered, I don’t. But it can be managed, and managed well, if meditation is added to the medical model of drugs and therapy.

Just as the person with diabetes will take insulin indefinitely, I must continue to take my medicine. And just as one with diabetes must adopt a healthy lifestyle to best complement her medication, the person with mental illness must as well. What I am sure of is that meditation is one of the best complements available."

Source: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/04/15/meditation-as-an-adjunct-the...

No comments:

Post a Comment