Thursday, February 10, 2011

Family Treatment and Therapy

We get family in equine courses and horse therapy all the time! The turnout is normally....amazing. You get to see how the family operates and in most cases the group will leave the session more as a family than ever. Heres a story of someone who went for help and it helped their family. 

"Looking back at my active addiction I would have to say that my biggest enablers were the ones who really loved me. Whenever I was unable to get my hands on the funds that I needed to support my alcohol addiction and drug abuse I would undoubtedly turn to my family and close friends and tell them some story on why I needed money. I didn’t know it then but essentially my family and loved ones were helping me to continue my addiction.

When I finally made the decision to go to addiction treatment I had no idea that if I were going to be able to achieve long-term quality sobriety I wasn’t the only one who was going to have to change my behavior. The people who supported me throughout my addiction were going to have to change too. The family program offered at the addiction treatment center I attended helped them to learn how to keep healthy boundaries from me.

I have to admit that I was upset when I initially heard the teachings that my loved ones were learning in the drug rehabs family program. In fact it was outright scary. However, now I feel that these lessons have proved to be influential over the past five years as I have moved through life as a sober, productive individual. In the family program my loved ones learned how they could support me and my new found way of life without getting too involved. They learned that even though they could support me emotionally they could not enable me be giving me money or getting me out of trouble. More importantly they were taught that if I did indeed suffer a relapse they would have to separate themselves from me until I was ready to once again get help.

Fortunately, thanks to the teachings in addiction treatment I have not suffered from a relapse. The family program offered at addiction treatment not only taught my family and loved ones how to behave around me but in the end have made us a much closer and tighter nit group."

Source: http://www.recoveryconnection.org/blog/2011/01/an-addiction-treatment-family-...

Pegasus is an organization that brings recovery through Horse Therapy and Equine Courses to help people achieve an addiction cure! Visit PegasusEct.com for more information! :) 

 

Please support us by "Liking" our page at...Horse Therapy

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment